Exeter Labour Press

1.5M ratings
277k ratings

See, that’s what the app is perfect for.

Sounds perfect Wahhhh, I don’t wanna

Relief as Exeter City Council takes action on St Thomas arches


EXETER CITY COUNCIL Labour Group

Media Release | 18 October 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Relief as Exeter City Council takes action on St Thomas arches

At the Exeter City Council meeting held on 18 October, Councillors formally approved the £50,000 budget to install fencing the length of the arches. This follows repeated complaints from residents about anti-social behaviour in the area.

Councillor Hannah Packham said “It has been a really difficult and distressing period for residents, with totally unacceptable behaviour taking place directly next to, and occasionally on, their properties. I have been working with ECC, Riverside Leisure Centre, the Neighbourhood Policing team and Network Rail to find a solution.

“Some neighbours were interested in using the space to accommodate community and business opportunities. Unfortunately the cost of waterproofing the arches for business use, which we lease from Network Rail is just too high, so fencing is he most viable option.

“I am pleased that ECC has agreed the £50,000 funding which will hopefully make such a difference to residents’ quality of life.”

=ENDS=

Notes for Editors

[01] ECC Executive meeting held on 12 September 2016 noted the delegated decision taken by Assistant Director Environment in consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Place to approve emergency capital funding of £50,000 from the 2016/17 General Capital Fund for improvements to the Railway Arches at Riverside, Cowick Street; these improvements to prevent unauthorised access to the under-space of the arches and the south access strip of land between the arches and the rear gardens of Beaufort Road.

http://committees.exeter.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=112&MId=4470&Ver=4

BELOW: [Cllr Hannah Packham with Network Rail at St Thomas Railway Arches. Photo credit:Paul Bull]


image

Labour’s Education Day of Action a success

Members of Exeter Labour Party took to the streets this past Saturday [01 October 2016] following a rallying call to defend education from their recently re-elected leader, Jeremy Corbyn. Speaking at the annual conference last week, Mr Corbyn called on all party members to campaign in a ‘day of action’ against Tory plans to reinstate selection and the failed grammar school system.

Cllr Hannah Packham said: “Recent announcements on the reintroduction of selection in our education system have alarmed many, including parents, grandparents, teachers, education experts, Councillors & MPs. Many of whom remember that selection for some meant segregation and secondary modern education for many.”

“There exists no evidence that selection, with the reintroduction of grammar schools, improves the educational achievement of the majority of children; but means the introduction of a two tier system. This is a retrograde step for millions of children across England, driven by Tory ideology rather than evidence.”

Cllr Chris Musgrave said: “It was great to see members, existing and new, come together for a common aim. The opposition to these disastrous proposals was palpable on the street, as was the support for Labour in our city.”

“Working alongside the National Union of Teachers (NUT) on this campaign was really welcome and something I hope to do much more of as we continue to oppose divisive Tory policy.”

Open letter regarding the Bishop’s Visitation Charges

I was surprised and shocked to read your coverage of the recent report into the management of Exeter Cathedral, which seems to focus on the ‘shortcomings’ of the Dean, the Very Reverend Dr Jonathan Draper.

What I read is in marked contrast to my own experience as a city councillor of working with the Dean on a range of matters both spiritual and temporal that concern the city and the Cathedral.

“Jonathan Draper has always been keen to work together in ways that strengthen the links between the cathedral and the people of Exeter.

Jonathan Draper has always been keen to work together in ways that strengthen the links between the Cathedral and the people of Exeter.

On a spiritual level he recently took a leading role in a vigil to mark the Orlando Massacre that both expressed the outrage felt by the majority of people and support for the LGBT community that was the target of such a despicable attack. His words were honest, courageous and supportive, and were warmly welcomed by everyone who attended.

Clearly, the Cathedral so loved by the people of Exeter has some challenging times ahead. My hope is that the people working there will not become so self absorbed that they forget that it cannot thrive without a focus on partnership and collaboration with the city and its residents.

Cllr Rachel Sutton
Deputy Leader, Exeter City Council

St Thomas residents anger as newly planted trees destroyed

Media Release | 03 August 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

St Thomas residents responded with shock, disappointment and anger after recently planted fruit trees in Cowick Barton Playing Fields were destroyed over night. Many residents were very upset by the senselessness of the actions.

The majority of the new trees we broken and some dragged in to roads neighbouring the fields; one was even left pushed through the railings in the gate.

St Thomas Councillors, Rob Hannaford, Hannah Packham and Paul Bull condemned the actions of the vandals in the strongest terms.

Rob Hannaford said “The trees were bought with money from the Devon County Community grant, and were a real asset to the community. It is shocking that people could damage their own community space in this way.”

Councillor Packham said “This has been really upsetting for local residents, many of whom worked hard to help organise and plant the trees. I would appeal to those responsible to look to their consciences and come forward. I can not comment on police action, but those responsible should help towards the cost of replacements and replanting”.

Councillor Bull highlighted that central government cuts have lead to local services being stretched and have contributed to delays in finding a resolution to reopening local provision such as the community centre on Merrivale Road.  

The police have been informed about the vandalism.

The St Thomas Councillors will remain in contact with Active Devon, and hope to meet with residents and the local PCSO in the near future.

- ENDS-

Exeter City Council unanimously agrees Exeter Labour Group motion on hate crime

Media Release | 27 July 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

A Full Council meeting of Exeter City Council meeting held at Exeter Guildhall on Tuesday 26 July 2016 unanimously passed a motion reaffirming unequivocal condemnation of any form of behaviour that is racist, xenophobic, incites hatred, discriminates against or harms members of our community.

In proposing the Labour Group motion, Cllr Lewis Keen [St David’s] said:
“I’ve proposed this motion concerning hate crime due to a significant rise across the country, and this has been reflected in concern from many residents, who have contacted me and my fellow councillors.”

Cllr Keen continued: “This motion raises awareness [of hate crime] and explicitly condemns this behaviour, and by supporting this motion we can continue to reassure our fellow residents that this Council, this city, does not accept bigotry”

In conclusion, Cllr Keen summed up: “That we welcome everyone and that diversity in Exeter over the centuries has woven a rich history that we are proud of. Many of you have contributed to this motion and I hope that it reflects and encompasses everyone’s feelings on the matter.”

The motion received unanimous approval from all three political represented on Exeter City Council.

The full motion reads:
Exeter’s City Council members wish to reaffirm our unequivocal condemnation of any form of behaviour that is racist, xenophobic, incites hatred, discriminates against or harms members of our community. We are honoured to represent the residents of such a diverse and tolerant city, and we intend to continue to do our utmost to ensure that it is a welcoming, safe place for all.

This Council recognises that our open and welcoming community is a key reason for this city’s prosperity and its significant cultural value in the South West. We also recognise that our city is home to people from many parts of the world, of many faiths and of none, and that we all continue to come out in force standing shoulder to shoulder with every resident – we are immensely proud to see that year on year events such as Exeter Pride and Exeter Respect Festival grow from strength to strength.

However, we also recognise that as a council we must not be complacent and continue to make sure acceptance and integration is a key aspect involved in the decisions we undertake. We will continue to ensure that local partnerships and programmes that combat xenophobia and contribute to integration have our full support.

We state in the strongest and sincerest terms that if any person is a victim of crime in Exeter they need to report it to our local police force. This not only means that the appropriate actions can be undertaken but more detailed records will enable a more effective response in the future – we will not allow hate crime to gain a foothold in our city.

We reassure all people living in Exeter that we will continue to strive every day to welcome, value and protect them. Working together, this city will remain welcoming, safe and inclusive for one and all.

Mothers angry about cuts to breastfeeding services will deliver petition to Devon County Council

MEDIA RELEASE | 26 July 2016

For immediate release

A group of mothers who attend West Exe Children’s Centre have led a formidable campaign to save staff and services from cuts at the centre. They will present a petition of over 600 signatories to a full Devon County Council (DCC) meeting on Thursday 28th July, at 2.15pm. The petition calls for Devon County Council, who ultimately fund the city’s Children’s Centres, to halt the cuts in breastfeeding support and educational play sessions in West Exe.

Angela Grainger, St Thomas resident and a mother of an 18 month girl
, said:
“These services are invaluable to the community. Breastfeeding support is vital for the health and wellbeing of mother and child - to cut this service is such a short term measure”.

Jessica Crew, who will be presenting the petition to full Council, said:
“The ‘Hey, Let’s Play’ sessions are more than a just playgroup; the health professionals who provide support and advice to new parents are a lifeline. Having recently returned to work part time, the cut of two to one sessions a week means I am unable to take my daughter in future.”

The centre will no longer provide the Baby Cafe, with its expert breastfeeding advice; 'Hey, Lets Play’ sessions will be reduced from twice to once a week; and the Saturday sessions for fathers will reduce from twice to once a month.

Cllr Hannah Packham, St Thomas, who has been supporting the families, said:
“The families and I completely understand that the centre has been placed in an impossible position after years of cuts. However, we are now seeing the impact of central government cuts to local authorities in our community. We want Devon County Council to speak out about this. We are very disappointed they have not engaged with our requests for a meeting”.

Families will gather outside the County Council Chamber at 1.45pm on Thursday 28th July to protest at the cuts and let County Councillors see the strength of feeling.

[Mothers will be available for interviews and comment on the cuts.]

ENDS

Cllr Hannah Packham will coordinate requests for interviews and further information. Cllr Packham can be contacted on 07904 011 693 or cllr.hannah.packham@exeter.gov.uk.

National recognition for Exeter Labour’s policing pledge

Media Release | 23 April

For immediate release

Shadow Home Secretary Andy Burnham has backed Exeter Labour’s pledge to tackle crime and anti-social behaviour in the city centre.

Exeter Labour have pledged to increase police presence in the city centre to tackle crime and improve the public’s enjoyment of the city. In wide-spread Stronger Exeter public consultation [1] [2], the city’s residents were clear that visible police presence, including PCSOs, is an important factor in keeping Exeter safe.

Andy Burnham, Shadow Home Secretary, said: “It’s great to see the difference an innovative Labour council can make to local police and crime issues. Exeter Labour are really thinking outside the box and putting the public first on crime, whilst the Tories do nothing but cut our police officers which has seen us lose over 500 in Devon and Cornwall. [3] With Exeter Labour running the city council, policing and public safety really are the first priority.”

Keith Owen, Exeter Labour spokesperson on anti-social behaviour and public safety, said: “Exeter Labour is committed to ensuring that public feel safe on the streets. We will always prioritise keeping our communities safe and making the city centre an enjoyable place to spend time. “One serious problem we face is that Devon and Cornwall Police have been badly hit by the cuts made by the Tory government.

“We will work with the new Police and Crime Commissioner to fight for more funding, but we pledge to share resources with Devon and Cornwall Police to increase the number of bobbies on the beat in Exeter.”

Notes for editors

[1] ECC: “Stronger Exeter” Budget consultation 2014

https://exeter.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/consultations-and-petitions/budget-consultation-2014/overview/

[2] ECC: “Stronger Exeter” – A safer city - key findings https://exeter.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/consultations-and-petitions/budget-consultation-2014/a-safer-city-key-findings/ [3] Nigel Rabbitts, chairman of Devon and Cornwall Police Federation: "This year (2015) there will be 500 fewer police officers keeping people in Devon and Cornwall safe than there were five years ago. There are fears that a further 800 Devon and Cornwall jobs could go over next four years” http://www.dcpolfed.org.uk/cuts/